Monday, August 8, 2011

Here's What We Know


On July 25, 2011, I was diagnosed with triple-negative breast cancer. With no known family history, my age (46) and my healthy lifestyle, this came as an enormous shock. As Chris and I began to share this news, we were bowled over by the kindness and support of our family and friends. To help keep these amazing people updated on how we are doing, we have started this blog.

So, here’s what we know so far about the cancer:

Tumor size: 1.6 cm (by sonogram)
Clinical Stage: I
Node involvement: 0 (by sonogram)
Grade: 3
Division Rate: 2
Receptors: ER negative, Progesterone low-positive (2-5%), HER-2 negative

Here’s what else we know: we are going to beat this. I am a strong and determined person, with the most incredible family behind me, and a skilled team of medical providers on my side. Within minutes of being diagnosed, Chris and I were in complete agreement—there is no option but to stay positive, and get through this. We want you all to know that this is how we are approaching this, and we are so glad that you are behind us.

5 comments:

  1. We are, indeed, behind you, Margie! Thank you for the gift of this blog so that we can check in often. Enjoy your time in Tahoe. Lots of love, Corey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dad...Bill Powers here. We in Margie's family are all so proud of her and Chris and Elsa and Alice. I love the picture of Margie, Elsa and Alice...I took at after we rode a ferry to the San Francisco Giants baseball game...a couple of weeks ago, when Joan and I visited. Alice won the tickets as a member of a reading group at the local library. Elsa and Alice are prolific readers...like their Mom and Dad.
    Thanks to all of the people supporting Margie and her family in this ordeal. We know they will all be fine. Love and prayers to all, dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Margie,
    I have no doubt that you will attack this cancer like you do your workouts. Remember this in the days ahead:

    1) I will promise to do my best. My best will vary from day to day, from hour to hour, from minute to minute. But in that minute, I will do the very best that I can.

    2) Anything that opposes me is actually helping me to become stronger. If I had no opposition, I would be weak.

    3) If I can run, I run. If I have to walk, I walk. When I am forced to crawl, I crawl. And then I rest and live to fight another day.

    4) I may puke. I may cry. But I will not quit. Ever.

    5) I will give everything I have. And then I will find more within myself.

    6) I don’t complain. Complaining is for crybabies. I will leave the crying to them and I will soldier on.

    7) I will bite off challenges, spit out results, and beg for more.

    The Matsik family is here for you. Kristen, Brad, Kelsey, Summer, and Jameson

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dad here...Hi to Jackie Miller ! Thanks for your post.

    Margie...we so admire your spirit...and fight...we appreciate the help from Hillary and Family and Toni. And all the posts and help from so many great people. Love, dad

    ReplyDelete