Monday, August 22, 2011

A Couple of Bad Nodes




The picture above is definitely not of a couple of bad nodes. It is in fact of two very good girls on their first day of school. We are so glad school has started, and that we are back in the midst of so many wonderful Wade Thomas teachers and families. Thanks everyone for your support!

The week after my diagnosis, I had an MRI, which showed a couple of nodes that looked, in scientific terms, weird. The MRI was followed by an ultra-sound, which was followed by a PET scan last week.

PET scan results show that the cancer has spread into two nodes in the internal mammary chain. What does this mean? It means the cancer has spread beyond the tumor, and it means that I am now officially in Stage 2, not Stage 1.

In terms of what it means for treatment—from what I can tell, not a lot. It may mean the nodes are monitored throughout chemo, and biopsied or removed when I have surgery. I know that it is an additional piece of information about me for the doctors to track, and as far as I’m concerned, more information is always good.

What it means in terms of our outlook is again, not a lot. We were a little bummed out when we found the cancer was officially “Stage 2”, because it was so nice to say Stage 1. But we’ve moved on from that. We are still fighting this in the same way, with the same doctors, and the same family and friends around us.  Thanks all for staying with us through this fight.

3 comments:

  1. Dad here..Dearest Margie...your courage and humor continue to inspire all of us.
    We walk with you hand in hand in this ongoing fight.
    Your two daughters are lovely...of course !
    Just like my 2 daughters...you and Molly !
    Thank you for keeping everyone advised.
    Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry you have to go through all this, but I know you will beat it. Your positive outlook and incredible family are two of your greatest allies.
    Keeping you and your family in my thoughts,
    Margie Mintz (Kment)

    ReplyDelete
  3. About stage two and a couple of "weird" nodes. Staging is for treatment purposes and has nothing to do with prognosis really until you get to stage 4. Since you are already getting aggressive treatment for triple neg.. Your treatment is the same so stage two doesn't affect you in any way. When I was a scientist/activist at the breast cancer SPORE (special projects of research excellence) at UCSF for 6years, I learned a lot. I was told that a few nodes doesn't change your prognosis at all. Just treatment for some patients. So don't let this bother you okay. I have faith in you that you will kick this cancer's ass! Love, reggie

    ReplyDelete