Tuesday, November 8, 2011

One More Round & One More Cake

Started my fifth round of chemo yesterday--it was a long day. An appointment with my surgeon, Leah Kelley, followed by an appointment with Bobbie Head, then a full day in the lounger. My veins are starting to rebel, which makes finding a good vein for the tap really tricky. The nurses in the chemo room work very hard at finding spots that work—I’m learning that they are not only kind, but creative.
 
The good news is that cell counts are holding steady, and my tumor is MIA. Also, surgery plans are underway-first surgery date is January 6, followed by radiation (if deemed necessary), followed by second surgery with plastic surgeon to put in implants. When I explained to Dr. Kelley that I wanted to get implants that were a bit of an upgrade from my current size, she gave me an understanding smile and said, “This is what we call the silver lining”.  I love my doctors.

I had so much support from friends and family yesterday—Patty, Lisa and Toni visited me in chemo, my lunch was courtesy of my friend Christina, Hilary brought dinner, and then, there was cake.



Our friends Laura and Darren have been generous and supportive in so many ways it is hard to count them all. One of the best things they have done is introduce us to the Almond Cake from Klappcakes—run by a local guy in Fairfax, who also happens to be one of the Sir Francis Drake High School football team coaches. On Sunday, we got a late night surprise delivery of Almond Cake from Laura. Nothing could have tasted better after a long day of chemo.

Here's the best thing Laura and Darren and their daughter Kate have done--opened their home to Elsa, given her free access to the knitting room and let these two go crazy with the needles and yarn. Is this a couple of happy girls or what? Thank you friends!


4 comments:

  1. Hi Margie -
    Just catching up on your blog and WOW such great news: a tumor that can't be found, a silver lining to look forward to :), fantastic news about Molly, a gorgeous new baby in the family, many cakes, many loving friends...and YOU, writing your way through this with grace, humor, heart, and grit. You're amazing. XO - SA
    p.s. I must connect with your knitting child!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW is right! It is great news re: the shrinking tumor. I love checking in on your blog and I think creative writing is in your future. Always thought it would be! I'll see you in a couple of weeks. Right now I have an almond cake to order! Lots of love, Tine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dad here. What a cute picture of Laura and Kate ! "Loyalty" has always been a trait of our daughter, Margie. I have never heard her
    criticize a friend. It is so wonderful to read
    of the kindnesses of Margie's friends in return.
    It is impossible to thank everyone individually..so thank you to all. Margie has always been an excellent reader and writer.
    We tell the family story that Margie's first grade reader was "Lassie Come Home". We are so proud of Margie and our daughter Molly in their
    Incredible Journeys.
    Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cute picture! You've got some amazing friends up there Marge.

    ReplyDelete